Abumere Akinwale, MD
Abumere Akinwale, MD is a board-certified retina specialist. Dr. Akinwale specializes in the medical and surgical treatment of vitreoretinal diseases, including conditions such as retinal detachment, age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vein occlusions, and macular diseases, amongst others.
Dr. Akinwale was born in Nigeria and moved to the United States as a teenager. She went to Mississippi College where she obtained her bachelor’s degree in Nursing. She received her M.D. from the University of Mississippi School of Medicine, where she was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha academic honor society, Gold Humanism society and a recipient of the Fred McDonell M.D. full-tuition academic merit scholarship in 2003.
Dr. Akinwale completed her Internship Training at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical center/Harvard Medical School. Subsequently, she completed Residency Training in Ophthalmology at Boston University Medical Center, followed by Fellowship Training in Medical Retina at Beetham Eye Institute (Joslin Diabetes Center)/Harvard Medical school. Dr. Akinwale returned to Mississippi to provide care to the underserved and while there she completed additional Fellowship Training in Surgical Retina at Southern Eye Center. She remained there until 2018 when she moved to San Antonio and joined the Audie L. Murphy VA hospital providing eye care for our veterans.
She is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) and American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS)
ABUMERE AKINWALE, MD
SPECIALIST IN RETINA AND VITREOUS DISEASES
- Mississippi College, B.S.N
- University of Mississippi Medical center, M.D.
- Boston University Medical Center
- Ophthalmology Residency
- Beetham Eye Institute/Harvard Medical School
- Medical Retina Fellowship
- Southern Eye Center
- Surgical Retina Fellowship
- Brown Retina Institute 2018-present
- Audie L Murphy VA hospital 2018-present
- Southern Eye Center 2012-2018
- Top 50 under 40 Business Leader, Mississippi Business Journal
- Department of Ophthalmology Award, University of Mississippi School of Medicine
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary medical society
- Gold Humanism Honor society, Jean D. Pullen Chapter